Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: ADMIN: Late but necesssary message about bouncing messages
From: Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:52:38 -0500

Hi,

Tonight, the subscription list went from 614 straight down to 609.  Five
people
were automatically deleted by Listserv because they had been having messages
to them to bounce.  They were all on one server, and 9  more people on that
server are being monitored.  The server is MSN, and I will send a list to
the ones still being monitored so they can complain to MSN this time.  This
has been
an ongoing thing with MSN, but until now, only some delayed messages were
usually the result, probably some missed messages.  This time five of your
colleagues got deleted in one fell swoop.

Bouncing messages is something that Listserv does not handle after a few
times,
and you can understand why when there is a large subscription.  The fault
lies not with Listserv but with the subscriber's ISP or server.

There is something else that you need to know.  If you are not getting
messages, you may know that your server is down or there is some other
problem you are
personally having.   You may not realize it if you are away from your
computer and think it is a slow day.  Or if your server is down for several
days, you may not know it has come back on.

At any rate, you should ask Listserv to see if you get an answer.  The way
to do that is:

Send the query command to:

It is easy to remember:  QUERY FLORIDABIRDS-L

If you are connecting to Listserv, it will send you a message telling what
your current options are.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT:

If it shows you are on DIGEST or NOMAIL, and you are not supposed to be on
either, it will mean that you have had messages that bounced.  The
automatic feature that causes Listserv to delete your subscription if your
server won't accept your messages and you get too many bounces.  They send
me copies of some of those error messages and rather than have you deleted
from the list, when I can I will set you either to DIGEST (where you will
get
only one
bounce for the day) or to NOMAIL where you won't get any bounces because
all mail is stopped.

If you are following me, upon getting a query response different from what
you expect, SEND A COMMAND TO:  [log in to unmask]
which should be:  SET FLORIDABIRDS-L MAIL

That will negate both digest and nomail.  And you will start to get mail.
IF your server is working.

We don't need to lose subscribers because of poor service from the servers.
I can't get in touch with you to tell you when you are not getting messages.

I hope this is clear.  It is important.

Barbara Passmore
Listowner, FLORIDABIRDS