Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: A possible virus
From: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 May 2002 21:57:11 -0400

this is a total hoax, inadvertantly being spread by you for altruistic
reasons.

(and it also a nice example of diffusion of info by small world
networks).

indeed, the hoax is truly destructive -- it leads you to delete a possibly
useful Javascript file.

please don't post virus warnings to this, or any, list.

please send an email to all those you have warned, and ask them not to
spread this hoax further. indeed, the hoax is the real virus.

and in any case, before you ever warn folks, go to the symantec website,
www.symantec.com, which does a good job of alerting folks to real viruses.
and if you don't believe them because they make Norton AntiVirus, go to
the official CERT website.

 Barry