Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Jdbgmgr.exe Virus Hoax: Information and Restoration
From: Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 May 2002 19:42:30 -0700

A hoax email message is making rounds asking people to delete the jdbgmgr.exe file, falsely claiming that it is a virus and not detected by anti-virus software.

Did you receive an e-mail recently telling you to delete the application Jdbgmgr.exe
from Windows because the app is a dangerous virus? Ignore it. The .exe file is a Java
bebugger. However, if you receive a file called Jdbgmgr.exe in an e-mail, delete it.
It could be a virus.

The message saying this file is a virus is a hoax. Follow any of these URLs to read about it
and how to repair your computer if you deleted it:

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/jdbgmgr.shtml

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2865855,00.html

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/176442.html