Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: viruses and network diversity
From: Valdis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 May 2002 23:06:38 -0400

This is also a good argument for diversity in networks!

Smart farmers know to plant more than one strain of corn... in case a virus
that incapacitates one strain, the other strains may resist or ignore the
virus, therefore preventing a complete loss.

We use both Windows computers and Macintoshes in a mixed network, NEVER
allowing the Windows boxes to touch the internet.  The Macintoshes [connected
to the internet] have received just about every recent virus and worm, but
since almost all of the viruses are written for Windows and Outlook [removed
from the Macs] they are all DOA [dead on arrival] on the Macintoshes.

Since it is almost a full-time job keeping up with patches and virus fixes, it
is prudent to make your network more resilient via node diversity.

Valdis
http://www.orgnet.com