Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: viruses and network diversity ... and social network research
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 May 2002 13:24:11 +1000

these days especially, if you are going to do
social network research that involves names,
you really have to have at least one machine
for data processing ... before de-identifying
the datasets ... that is NOT connected to the
internet.

regards, al
-----------
On Sat, 18 May 2002, Valdis wrote:

> This is also a good argument for diversity in networks!
>
> Smart farmers know to plant more than one strain of corn... in case a virus
> that incapacitates one strain, the other strains may resist or ignore the
> virus, therefore preventing a complete loss.
>
> We use both Windows computers and Macintoshes in a mixed network, NEVER
> allowing the Windows boxes to touch the internet.  The Macintoshes [connected
> to the internet] have received just about every recent virus and worm, but
> since almost all of the viruses are written for Windows and Outlook [removed
> from the Macs] they are all DOA [dead on arrival] on the Macintoshes.
>
> Since it is almost a full-time job keeping up with patches and virus fixes, it
> is prudent to make your network more resilient via node diversity.
>
> Valdis
> http://www.orgnet.com
>

> Barry Wellman wrote:
> >
> > this is a total hoax, inadvertantly being spread by you for altruistic
> > reasons.
> >
> > (and it also a nice example of diffusion of info by small world
> > networks).
> >
> > indeed, the hoax is truly destructive -- it leads you to delete a possibly
> > useful Javascript file.
> >
> > please don't post virus warnings to this, or any, list.
> >
> > please send an email to all those you have warned, and ask them not to
> > spread this hoax further. indeed, the hoax is the real virus.
> >
> > and in any case, before you ever warn folks, go to the symantec website,
> > www.symantec.com, which does a good job of alerting folks to real viruses.
> > and if you don't believe them because they make Norton AntiVirus, go to
> > the official CERT website.
> >
> >  Barry
> >  ___________________________________________________________________
> >
> >   Barry Wellman        Professor of Sociology       NetLab Director
> >   [log in to unmask]   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
> >
> >   Centre for Urban & Community Studies        University of Toronto
> >   455 Spadina Avenue   Toronto Canada M5S 2G8   fax:+1-416-978-7162
> >  ___________________________________________________________________
> >
> > On Sat, 18 May 2002, Richard Rothenberg wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 21:53:38 -0700
> > > From: Richard Rothenberg <[log in to unmask]>
> > > To: [log in to unmask]
> > > Subject: A possible virus
> > >
> > > I got word that I was sent a virus and did indeed find it on my hard
> > > drive,  I was told that it sits on the drive for 14 days and then sends
> > > itself to everyone in the address book.
> > >
> > > The virus is called:    jdbgmgr.exe
> > >
> > > Please search your hard drive and if you find it, delete it and empty
> > > the recycle bin.  Specific instructions below.
> > >
> > > Please note as well that some things of this sort are actually just mock
> > > viruses, practical jokes that someone is playing.  This may be the case
> > > here, but it is probably not worth finding out for sure.  (AT the very
> > > least, I was warned that I might have received it, and I did.)  If you
> [...]

Alden S Klovdahl /   [log in to unmask]    / fax: +61 2 6125 2222
Social Sciences  / Australian National University / Canberra Australia 0200