Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: PHOTO:GreaterFlamingo,9-15-02,SnakeBight,EvergladesNP,SarahBeckwith
From: Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:14:13 -0500

Sarah Beckwith, the photographer of the attached photos, writes this about
it and other things::

>It was taken on September 15, 2002, from a
canoe at high tide in Snake Bight (in Florida Bay), Everglades National
Park. The digital camera I used was a Nikon Coolpix 5000, and the film was
Lexar CompactFlash. No additional telephoto lens was used; just the zoom on
the camera. As my friend and I sat quietly in the canoe, we drifted up to
and past the group of 8 Greater Flamingos. They honked a bit, but mostly
just continued to feed in the shallow water. A couple of them even tucked
>their heads back into their feathers and appeared to nap!

>This same group was easily seen by canoe many times after I saw them. At
one
point, a leg band was spotted and read with binoculars. The numbers were
traced to flamingos that were banded in the Yucatan Peninsula! I feel this
>proves that at least one, and maybe all of these flamingos are wild.

>Snake Bight is a large bay within Florida Bay, and the location of the
flamingos was approximately four miles NE along the shoreline from Flamingo
in Everglades National Park. I have also seen them closer and further from
Flamingo, and further from the shore depending on the tides. The couple
times I saw them from the boardwalk at the end of the Snake Bight Trail,
they were very far out (scoping was necessary), although I understand that
isn't always the case. The best way to do it is to paddle (canoe or kayak)
into Snake Bight near high tide. At any other time the water is too shallow
to make it far. Also, although they have been spotted every month of the
year, according to records kept at the Flamingo Visitor Center, they are
more common in summer and fall. My first sighting of them was in December,
1997. For birders wishing to look for the flamingos, the rangers at the
visitor center can help with a log containing recent sightings, tide times,
and canoe rentals. With or without flamingos, Snake Bight is a fantastic
>place to see huge flocks of shore and wading birds.

This photo is grand in many ways, one of which  is the size (2560x1704
pixels).  Regretfully, I have had to crop  the attachment to this message as
well as crop and resize the larger one on the website,
http://bkpass.tripod.com/floridabirds.htm.

My thanks to both CJ Grimes for bringing this photo to my attention, and to
Sarah Beckwith for allowing it to be included in the archives and on the
website.  Sarah retains the copyright as you know.

Barbara Passmore
Listowner, FLORIDABIRDS-L