Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: "intrusiveness" in network surveys
From: Fabio Rojas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:37:55 -0500

Dear Social Network Crowd:

I'm fielding a survey right now that has a name generator battery of questions.
I'm getting the feeling from interacting with respondents that many feel that
many feel the name generator is "intrusive" - even though the survey is
confidential and only asks about professional contacts (e.g., "who would you
consult in a career decision?"). However, I do have one negopy question - "who
do you have conflictual contacts with?"

Is there a literature that investigates how well people respond to name
generators? Do people respond badly to name generators in general? Or is it the
one question about negative conflicts?

I'm wondering if there is anything beyond the typical survey research focusing
on length and presentation of survey.

Fabio Rojas