Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: friendship groups
From: Deirdre Kirke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:25:09 +0100

Dear Jo and other socnetters,
The analysis I did on friendship groups among teenagers in one community/
neighbourhood in Dublin may interest you.  I used components to delineate
the peer networks and then could examine topics of interest within those
networks.  Components, of course, do link all those who are reachable to
each other and excludes all others.  So they do delineate the different
friendship/peer groups which seems to be what you are looking for.
My 1996 paper in Social Networks describes the methods used  and if you
wish to see how chain reactions happen in such friendship/ peer  networks
you might like to see my current paper which is In Press in Social Networks.
Kirke, Deirdre M. 1996  Collecting peer data and delineating peer networks
in a complete network, Social Networks, 18, 333-346.
Kirke, Deirdre M. 2004  Chain reactions in adolescents' cigarette, alcohol
and drug use:  similarity through peer influence or the patterning of ties
in peer networks?, 26, 1, 3-28.
with my best wishes,
Deirdre Kirke