Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: about advice to newbies (from a list newbie)
From: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:08:20 -0400

Mr Carpe,

Despite your flame, my grumbles followed your guidelines completely:
think before you ask, do research first, respond to serious questions.

If you had been on this list long enough before you made your accusations,
you would have known that people on it have been very generous with their
feedback to others.

So I don't understand your accusations of standoffishness, etc.

Yes people on this list do consult. Me, too. Often,this is overtime, paid
work. Some folks do make a primary living as consultants, and I noted one
person who does give lots back to the network analysis field. There are
others. My beef is with folks who earn big bucks in organizations or
consultants who want one-way free advice so they can earn more big bucks.

PS: I don't know the difference between "setting rules" and "prescribing
social behavior". Isn't that what rules do? In any event, I did neither:
I put some personal grumbles out for folks to talk about at the social
network annual meeting. See you there!

PPS: I have a deadline for today. Please excuse my lack of further
response.

 Barry