Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Counter Grumbles
From: "John T. Maloney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:26:31 -0700

Barry --

"4. We're starting to see the beginnings of spam. One guy is repeatedly
promoting his conference in San Francisco."

This statement is unfair, false and counterproductive.

The academic gathering May 21, with some of the top people in the SN/SNA
field, was announced as a courtesy to SOCNET. It is hardly spam. It is not
promotion. It is not even a 'conference' either. (?) It is an evolving
conversation.

Social Networks (SFO): http://www.kmcluster.com/sfo/SFO_Summer_2004.htm

The May 21 event in San Francisco maps to the spirit-and-letter of SOCNET,
in your own words, "...as a place where academic social network analysts
could talk with each other."

You would do a service to your constituents and list members by retracting
this flame and trying to level the playing field a bit.

If you disagree, then I am open to a discussion. However, from what I can
gather it is normal and customary to announce top-notch academic gatherings
on SOCNET.

I tend to agree with your other conclusions. However, concerning newbies,
there all manner of knowledge markets, systems and techniques where senior
list members and experts and easily and productively monetize their
expertise to the newbie community. Here's an good place to start:
http://www.kikm.org/portal/page2.htm

Offline, members have been grateful and appreciative.

Safe travels.

Most respectfully,

John

John Maloney