Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Looking for a distance metric
From: Scott Feld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:22:19 -0500

Jim,

You have a situation where many papers share one keyword and few people
share another keyword.  You seem to want to treat the rarer ties so created
as "stronger".  It is not apparent why you would want that.  If these are
ties created by working in the same area, then there are more ties among
the more people in the popular areas than among the few people in the
unpopular areas.  I don't think that the former ties need necessarily to be
weaker than the latter ties.  If you think that more ties necessarily means
weaker, then you should theoretically specify how strength declines with
number of ties and why.  Your theory should then dictate how you weight
accordingly. You might instead treat this as an empirical issue, IF you
have some other indicator of tie strength.

Scott