Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Social Network Informatics
From: Laurence Locklee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:43:21 +1000

Hi,

I'm interested in  making contact with others who are interested in social
networks that have been identified through mining of information/data. I've
termed this "Social Network Informatics"...for want of a better term. There
have been a number of discussions on this list with respect to e-mail or
news-list mining for discovering "virtual" social networks. I see the
potential for using information mining approaches is the ability to limit
the need for expensive and time consuming SNA surveys and the ability to
cover much larger populations.

I've got many open questions from my own research work. e.g. how much faith
can we put in networks identified this way verses the traditional
interview/survey approach? Does the larger data source afforded through
electronic tracking make up for the lack of specificity that one get
through interviews? Does this approach have advantages in that some critics
of SNA point to respondents not "telling the truth"?

The boom in social software e.g Friendsters, Spoke etc.. add fuel to this
approach. Off course there's also the privacy issues to deal with as well.
In my Doctoral studies I'm looking to identify "market" level networks
through mining business related information. I'd like to apply traditional
SNA measures like centrality, betweenness etc.. but clearly need to
understand whether this would be valid in this application.

So if anyone is interested in this topic I'd be pleased to hear from you.
I've set up a blog to record interesting stuff I come across and would be
happy to include any links others may have that are useful and relevant.
Address is: http://locklee.blogspot.com/.

Rgds

Laurence Lock Lee

Principal Knowledge Management Consultant
Computer Sciences Corporation
and
Doctoral Candidate
Macquarie Graduate School of Management