Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: [UCINET] friendship groups
From: Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:32:34 -0400

Of all of the social networks I have looked at, I can not remember a single one where everyone fell into one and only one group/cluster.  You will find 'clean components' if you are looking at a *prescribed* network such as a department structure in an organization or a class structure in a school but NOT with most *emergent* networks.

Are you interested in how the network influences individual behavior?  If so, I would look at the network neighborhood each individual is embedded in.

If you are just looking to discover emergent friendship clusters in the overall network, I would apply Mark Newman's recent edge betweenness algorithm