Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: distance, contact and support
From: Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:45:14 -0400

Dear social networks and community studies colleagues,

I am coauthoring a paper with geographers Diana Mok and Ranu Basu.
We're taking my pre-internet East York strong ties data and doing some
fancy distance modeling with it.
(Prelim results at Social NEtwork conference in Slovenia, mid-May).

We would appreciate some guidance as to the research literature about the
relationship of residential distance to:

F2F contact
phone contact
emotional support
the provision of minor services (lending cups of sugar)
the provision of major services (health care, etc.)

Please respond to all THREE of us. We'll digest on the lists.
Thanks,
 Barry