Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: research parrtner(s)
From: Davide Torsello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:02:46 +0200

Dear All,
first of all a warm thanks to all those who replied to my introduction.
I am in the process of starting up a research network for a comparative
project on informality in individuals-institutional relations and I am
looking for research partners.
I would be interested to test what leads young graduates from particular
countries, or regions within countries (namely where social change is
pretty rapid or instability is at stake) to follow informal paths
(personal connections hence leading to clientelism, nepotism..) in
searching for jobs. I am interested to deal with  the assumption that
interpersonal trust and the density of social ties influence people's
perceptions (and trust) in formal institutions. Is it possible to
increase trust in institutions by enlarging the spectrum of an
individual's social interaction?
Ideally my project should be comparative covering at least 3 EU
countries (including the new central eastern European ones) but it does
not need to be only European.
I planned to have a team made up by an anthropologist (myself), a
sociologist or expert of social networks, an institutional economist and
a social psychologist. That may sound too much, but I am open to any advice.
I would be very glad to provide more info on the project, of which I am
sketching a draft.
I would be very thankful for feedback from anyone who is interested or
has some advice, indications on literature....

best wishes,
Davide Torsello
Collegium Budapest institute for Advanced Study
University of Lecce (Italy)