Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Definition of community
From: Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:45:41 -0400

*****  To join INSNA, visit  *****

Here is a network graph of a 3000+ on-line community.  The community is
on a platform that allows private messages/chats/web page visits
between members.  Any member can read the public messages/announcements
posted by topic.  Nodes are linked if they exchanged > 5 messages [of
any type via the membership system] in a specific period.   As you can
see many people joined and 'use' the system but have not corresponded
with anyone directly yet... ~ 40% of this network are lurkers/isolates.    [4MB PDF]

On Sep 21, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Ryan Lanham wrote:

> *****  To join INSNA, visit  *****
> Has anyone studied "lurkers" in communities or networks?  I am reminded
> of Erving Goffman's famous front stage/back stage metaphors.  What role
> do lurkers perform?  Are they actors?  Is there an audience effect to
> discourse on listservs?

network researchers ( To unsubscribe, send