Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Validity of network ties
From: Caroline Haythornthwaite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:04:49 -0500

There is, of course, a long standing debate in the CMC (computer-mediated
communication) and Internet research areas about whether online ties, relations,
communities, etc. are as 'real' as offline. You can find a number of papers on
this in this book and a review in the introduction ...

Wellman, B. & Haythornthwaite, C. (Eds.) (2002). The Internet in Everyday Life.
Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishers.

Plus many studies by Barry Wellman and colleagues, and by myself on online
social networks. This paper provides an overview of some of this work.

Haythornthwaite, C. (2005). Social networks and Internet connectivity effects.
Information, Communication & Society, 8(2), 125-147.

/Caroline