Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: AW: Validity of network ties
From: Cora Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:24:46 +0200

Dear all,

thanks for the quick replies! I realize I should have been more specific.
Without having read the suggested literature yet (so please forgive me if
the issues raised are answered in there), I try to explain more precisely
what I meant.

There's a lot of literature about the outcomes of networks, e.g. the classic
example of finding a new job. So, by "real networks" I meant to pose the
questions if these conclusions could be assumed as well for networks
constructed from online data.

There two concerns with network data gathered from social network sites such
as LinkedIn that occurred to me so far: first, I expect there to be more
network ties in this kind of online data than in questionnaire studies as
ties accumulate in social network sites. Probably very few people "clear
out" their ties in their profile. Yet, when asked I don't expect these very
weak or maybe "old" ties to be mentioned.

Second and this is mentioned by danah boyd, there are some people who
collect ties as an end in itself. Besides the point of asking about their
motivation to do so, I wonder whether these persons can be compared to hubs
who know (as in face-to-face knowing or through more extensive communication
than the message asking for the tie to be confirmed) their alters.

Regards,
Cora Schaefer