Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: AW: Validity of network ties
From: Bernie Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:12:27 -0400

Hi Cora,

These ties are valid, and (of course) real, as real as many of the networks
we gather through other means. How 'real' is the network where you ask
everyone in the company the three people they go to for advice? Or ask
individuals to name the people they are at least somewhat close to (where on
a bad day people might say 15 people and a good day 25).
[shameless plug: The May 2007 issue of Field Methods is all about Personal
Networks, and I've got an article coming out in there on visual name
generators. Yes, I think those networks are real, too!]

I'd like to throw a curve ball: Its not about the ontology of the networks
(or even whether they match up with offline networks). Its about the logic
that underlies tie formation and maintenance in this context. Why do people
add ties? How do they keep up on them?

If the majority of people in this space use a logic for adding, maintaining
and accessing ties that is far from the logic of maintaining ties offline
then you have a cyberspace/ virtual community / whatever. But if people are
adding their friends, people they met at a party through friends of friends,
or through business meetings then there is a logic of tie formation online
and offline that work together.

What sort of logic would be different from offline? I can't give all the
differences here, but here's some I've thought about and read about. Online
people add ties to get around privacy filters (for example, you're chatting
one and want to see that person's pictures). Some indeed collect friends
online because of status, and wear their friends' icons like badges. Adding
a friend because you want to learn about that person before making too much
contact. Another different logic - friends have a decay function in real
life - don't see your friend for 7 years, well, he's probably not really
your bestest buddy anymore. 7 years later in myspace if you don't delete
your profile, then we're still friends.

Moreover, we have to deal with tie strength - something that's implied in
offline research, but lacking in this context. To find the significant
individuals online, there are additional cues, such as who comments on who's
profile, how often, who's on a top 8 (in MySpace).

Hope that helps,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
PhD Candidate, Department of Sociology
Research Coordinator, NetLab
University of Toronto

I received a message from Cora Schaefer at approximately 9/30/06 7:24 AM.
Above is my reply.