Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Data Request: Trips and Distances
From: "Bill.Richards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:31:58 -0700

Google is the key to the World's Biggest Library and a great place to
start searches for data or research information.  For example, a Google
search for:    "trips by us residents"+ by +distance
led me to look for:  "2006 American Travel Survey"

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics (www.bts.gov) did the "American
Travel Survey" several times. Their web site has an amazing amount of
information, much in tabular format, some in histograms, some in pie
charts. Their "Transportation Statistics" page at
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ may be especially useful. Their "Data
Finder" gives breakdowns by By Mode (Aviation, Maritime, Highway,
Transit, Rail, Pipeline, Bike/Pedestrian, Other) or By Subject(Safety,
Freight Transport, Passenger Travel, Infrastructure, Economic/Financial,
Social/Demographic, Energy, Environment, National Security). If that
isn't what you are looking for, try the "National Transportation
Statistics" page at
http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/

A research team at the Department of Park, Recreation and Tourism
Resources at Michigan State University (Daniel Stynes, Dennis Propst,
Wen-Huei Chang, Ya-Yen Sun)  has an interesting web site at
http://www.msu.edu/course/prr/840/econimpact/

One of the things you will see there are some pages with data from the
"1995 American Travel Survey - Michigan Results; Supplemental analysis
of American Travel Survey"  at
http://www.msu.edu/course/prr/840/econimpact/atstables/BTStables.htm#tableA

all the best,
Bill