Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: How to get into password-required sites, without registration
From: David Teten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:21:56 -0400

Prof. Borgatti brings up a good point.  Just to clarify, BugMeNot.com
explicitly forbids and blocks accounts to paid services from being posted
(e.g., WallStreetJournal.com ).  However, for unpaid services (e.g.,
Boston.com), they allow sharing of accounts.

Under their FAQs, they provide this answer to the question, "Why not just
register?"

Their answer:
    * It's a breach of privacy.
    * Sites don't have a great track record with the whole spam thing.
    * It's contrary to the fundamental spirit of the net. Just ask Google.
    * It's pointless due to the significant percentage of users who enter
fake demographic details anyway.
    * It's a waste of time.
    * It's annoying as hell.
    * Imagine if every site required registration to access content.

For more on this discussion, see
http://www.bugmenot.com/faq.php

And on the ethics of this, see
http://www.poynter.org/article_feedback/article_feedback_list.asp?id=60149

David Teten
Insights from frontline industry experts:
Nitron Advisors, LLC ( http://www.NitronAdvisors.com )
Circle of Experts ( http://www.CircleofExperts.com )
email: [log in to unmask]
Skype IM/VOIP phone: dteten
direct: 1-212-682-5875, cell: 1-917-355-5726, efax: 1-212-624-0256
211 East 43rd Street, 11th floor
New York, NY 10017-4820
Blogs:
Circle of Experts Brain Food ( http://www.CircleofExperts.com/blog )
New York Events ( http://www.CircleofExperts.com/nyc )
The Virtual Handshake--Opening Doors and Closing Deals Online (
http://www.TheVirtualHandshake.com )