Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Definition of community Rather than asking other people to do your research......
From: Alvin Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:39:41 -0400

I just want to add that even though yes, Google does help in doing
research and finding papers, you have to read those papers and access
them to see if they're relevant or not.  It takes people to determine
that, because there is that cognitive element that search engines
don't have.  Another suggestion is to go to http://citeulike.org which
basically is a del.icio.us site for papers and references.  People tag
references and make comments and then you can see if others also cite
the same paper.  You can do a search on a particular tag let's same
community, and see what other papers people have read on community.

We need to have some sort of social search capability, Eurekster kind
of started that, where you use other people's search to feed your own
search.  Google doesn't have that, and I one time mentioned this to
one of Google's managers when he came to U of T for a talk.  He kind
of shrugged it off.  Human beings are social beings, we like to engage
and talk with other people.  People will give their suggestions and
their input from their own experience.  Can Google do that?

OK, end of rant.

Alvin