Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Definition of community
From: "Ronald E. Rice" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:30:07 -0700

You may wish to add:

Fernback, J. (2007).  Beyond the diluted community concept: A symbolic
interactionist perspective on online social relations.  New Media & Society,
in press.

Fernback, J. (2007).  Selling ourselves? Profitable surveillance and online
communities.  Critical Discourse Studies, in press.

Fernback, J. (2005).  Information technology, networks, and community voices
Inclusive strategies for urban regeneration.  Information, Communication &
Society, 8(4), 482-502.

Katz, J. E., Rice, R. E., Acord, S., Dasgupta, K., & David, K.  (2004).
Personal mediated communication and the concept of community in theory and
practice. In P. Kalbfleisch (Ed.), Communication and community,
communication yearbook 28 (pp. 315-370).  Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.

======================================
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television and New Media
President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
Fulbright Professor, Finland 2006
Dept. of Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
ph: 805-893-8696; fax: 805-893-7102
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/rice_flash.htm