Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Triple Helix dynamics in a transition economy (Hungary)
From: Loet Leydesdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:50:59 +0100

Dear Balazs,

Thank you for talking back about such an important issue: the dynamic
analysis of social networks. In my opinion, three lines of research can be
distinguished:

1. SIENA with a focus on action as agent of change;
2. comparative statics: social networks are compared at different moment of
time using linear interpolation, and building next on previous solutions
(Pajek, PajekToSVGAnim);
3. dynamics.

My interest has been on the third category, but I have found it difficult to
combine the multi-variate with the dynamic perspective. In 1991, I
contributed a paper to _Social Networks_ 13, 301-345, entitled "The Static
and Dynamic Analysis of Network Data using Information Theory" because I
thought that the way forward was to use entropy statistics. In addition to
being considered as a tool for structural analysis, information theory can
be considered as a calculus.

In addition to the forward moving of the network, I am also interested in
the backward evaluation because social psychological systems provide meaning
to the events from the perspective of hindsight. The extent to which this
backward feedback influences the evolution of the network, should be
measurable as negative entropy. (Because it defies the second law.) The
contribution of social network analysis -- as different from network
analysis in general --  would particularly be interesting if we were able to
show how negative entropy is self-organized by the communication of meaning
in these networks potentially differently from, for example, biological
ones.

This is a longer-term perspective. Recently, remarkable advancements have
been made in multi-dimensional scaling techniques which allow for the
analytical distinction between stress within each year and stress over the
years. The two can then be used together for the animation. This brings the
integration between the second and the third line of research distinguished
above closer. I recently posted a mail about the animation of journals in
nanotechnology (available at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/journals/nanotech/index.htm ) which uses these
techniques. Although these animations can be played forward and backward,
and one can consequently see the anticipation in some cases, we are, in my
opinion, far from modelling networks among intentional systems, that is
systems which provide meaning to the past, are able to communicate about
meaning, and to anticipate on future events because of this inbuilt
reflexivity.

I hope that this opens up a bit the discussion about how to model networks
among intentional systems. The mutual information in three (or more)
dimensions, in my opinion, provides a measurement instrument for the extent
to which uncertainty can be reduced in such networks. We know from the
theory and computation of anticipatory systems that reflexive systems are
buffering against chaotic phenomena by filtering the variation.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/