Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Revisionist history of network analysis
From: Mason Alexander Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Dec 2010 12:32:58 +0000

I'm a mathematician/physicist (somewhere in between, really) working on
network science, and I've never heard of Ted Lewis. :P

As far as I can tell, historical knowledge of one's field (especially when
focusing on a particular perpsective within it) is in general bad among
most practitioners, so I can't say I'm surprised at what Brian
found---but it's pretty rampant in every discipline in which I've ever
been involved (and probably rampant just about everywhere else).  It
doesn't excuse it, of course, but it's probably no more egregious in this
field than it is everywhere else.

I'd actually like to question the idea of Lewis dividing network research
into historical eras in the first place why bother?  I'm currently writing
a textbook on networks, and my goal is to teach the subject while making
the book as short as I can.  I don't want to pretend to be a historian,
and I already know I can never possibly give credit to everyone who
deserves it.  (That said, I definitely hope to get enough comments
beforehand so I don't do anything _too_ egregious...)  Though I guess
maybe my other goal is to try not to be yelled at too badly on SOCnet. :P

-----
Mason